COVENTRY â€” Newport City Firefighters responded to the New England Waste Services landfill at 9 a.m. yesterday for a structure fire.
Newport City Chief Fire Chief Jamie LeClair said the fire was in a small utility building. LeClair requested mutual-aid from the Orleans Fire Department but ended up canceling the call.
Landfill staff extinguished much of the fire prior to the fire department's arrival.
Lenny Wing of the landfill said company engineers and members of the safety department will investigate the fire.
ORLEANS COUNTY â€“ The sugaring season is off to an early start this year with the unseasonably warm weather. The boiling is going strong, but how the season will turn out is a mystery, completely dependent on Mother Nature. Temperatures are forecasted to be well into the 50s in the days ahead, and this concerns producers.
â€śWeâ€™re at the mercy of the weather but off to a good start,â€ť said Carolyn Collins.
TROY â€” Firefighters saved the farmhouse at the former Judd Farm from being destroyed by fire yesterday.
Jamie Rivers and Laura Clark now own the property now known as Jay View Sugaring Equipment.
The family believes a shorted out extension cord in the basement caused the fire. The cord was powering a fan to dry children's clothes in the basement of the home. The home sustained smoke damage. The children's clothes were destroyed.