July 27th, 2015
BROWNINGTON- At a special meeting held last Thursday evening, voters in town chose Leny Zenonos over two other candidates for the select board. Former member Bob Walker resigned from the position after selling his house and business and moving to Newport.
The three candidates, including Jay Gonyaw and Roger Patenaude, were nominated from the floor and were given a few minutes to address a crowd estimated at a hundred residents.
BARTON- Couture Trucking Incorporated, Bulk Services, based in Troy, has added a second railroad terminal in Barton on the May Farm Road. Company owner Dwayne Couture said a terminal located in Lyndonville is over capacity so he has purchased property in Barton and hopes to have the terminal operational by the end of the year.
For the rest of the story see Monday's Express
We just about ready to enter the dog days of summer, but there is still plenty of things going on to talk about.
Here are my Top Three picks from the week that was.
1. Everybody knows that the Newport Women's Soccer League is a popular activity in our area, and on Sunday, Team Colombia Forest bested Newport Optical 5-1 to take home the League crown.
2. Tough weekend for the OEC Legion Team, as they were eliminated from the play-offs after entering the season as the top ranked team.
Three people are dead and several others injured after a gunman began shooting inside a movie theatre in Lafayette, Louisiana.
NEWPORTâ€“The OEC Lightning Junior Legion closed out their regular season with a sweep of the Colchester Cannons in a doubleheader on Wednesday evening.
For more, see the Express on 7-24-15.
ST. ALBANSâ€“the Orleans County 14-U Babe Ruth team won the State Tournament this past weekend. For more, see the Express on 7-23.
Newport Center, Troy, and North Troy firefighters are battling this blaze early Sunday evening.
Another week has gone by and here are my top three picks of this past week.
1. Lake Region graduate Matt Morin finished in 4th place at the Vermont Amateur championship.
2. Staying on the links, Denis Fortin and Dan Griffith won their second Newport Daily Express Member-Guest Tournament.
3. And finally, Lake Region graduate Tyrah Urie put the finishing touch on her high school career on Saturday, scoring a goal in Team Vermontâ€™s 4-1 win over New Hampshire in the Twin State soccer game in Castleton.
NEWPORTâ€“Dan Griffith and Denis Fortin won their second Newport Daily Express Member-Guest Golf Tournament on Sunday. For more, see the Express on 7-20-15.
Campus Insiders presents 50 reasons why we can't wait for College Footballâ€™s return, from high-flying QBs to cuddly mascots to coaches getting loose in the locker room.