Archive - News Article
DERBY LINE - The Border Livestock Plus 4-H Club made their way around Derby Line Sunday knocking on doors and surprising residents with Christmas Carols.
The day was planned as part of the club's community work service goal.
NEWPORT CITY - Robert Morse, 38, of Hutchinson, KS, pleaded guilty Dec. 1 to possessing a trailer stolen from NEVTEC on the Airport Road. Because Morse is out of state, he entered his plea by waiver and did not appear in court. He was sentenced to pay a $300 fine and $186 in surcharges.
July 6, 2010, Leonard Griffes, owner of NEVTEC, told police that someone had taken his trailer the day before. Griffes said he had waited to report the trailer missing because he wanted to make sure nobody else in his company had it.
COVENTRY, VT - A new hanger, to be used to store an eight-passenger Citation Jet, is well on its way to being completed.
Jason Poginy Building from Coventry is constructing the 4,900 square foot hanger at the Newport State Airport.
It will be finished in three to four weeks.
NEWPORT, VT - Scott Wing, 41 of Morgan, entered a not guilty plea Monday to a charge that he embezzled somewhere in the neighborhood of $900 from the Northern Umpires Association checking account for his own purposes.
On Sept. 21, Reginald Shafe told city police officers that he believed Wing had misappropriated the money. Shafe had been approached by Gary White, who shared responsibility with Wing for the association's account. White was concerned about discrepancies.
ORLEANS, VT - Bill Asack, from Asack and Son Tree Farms, and Eric Mosher, Santa's Helper, are busy preparing trees for their many customers this season.
The tree farm and stand on Leblanc Road in Orleans will be open until Christmas Eve. Just take the left turn after the railroad overpass as you head towards Lake Region Union High School.
The family has been in the Christmas tree business for 17 years. They also sell wreaths and serve hot chocolate.
NEWPORT CITY â€“ Two men pleaded not guilty Tuesday to multiple charges following a break-in at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Newport.
Nathan Ladieu, 30, denied charges of felony burglary, felony unlawful mischief, misdemeanor unlawful trespass and misdemeanor contributing to the delinquency of someone younger than 16.
Based on the same incident, Hunter Uhlendorff, 18, denied charges of aiding in the commission of a felony, misdemeanor contributing to the delinquency of someone younger than 16 and misdemeanor unlawful trespass.
DERBY, VT - The Vermont Electric Company (VELCO) has the green light to move forward on its proposal to build a new telecommunications tower on Nelson Hill in Derby but some area residents have requested reconsideration.
The Vermont Public Service Board (PSB) issued a Certificate of Public Good (CPG) to VELCO on November 16 and refused to hold a public hearing locally on the matter despite requests from residents and the Derby Select Board.
NEWPORT, VT - Jay Peak Resort President and Co-Owner Bill Stenger,along with his grandaughters Anna and Emma Grasso, joined Co-Owner Ari Quiros to officially open the floodgates of the new indoor waterpark at Jay Peak. About 500 children from area schools received free passes to join the party.
LOWELL, VT - A group of about 20 protesters met on the Lowell Mountain ridge line yesterday to protest â€śEnvironmental Destructionâ€ť on the site where 21 industrial sized turbines are being constructed.
Some protesters were clad in bear costumes and held sings that read, â€śI canâ€™t find my den.â€ť The costumes signified the disruption to wildlife habitat, said Steve Wright of Craftsbury in a press release. Wright is an active opponent of the project.
Protesters stopped construction Monday morning for two hours before leaving the site.
CHARLESTON â€“ A defective furnace motor caused the Charleston Elementary School to fill with smoke yesterday.
Firefighters responded to the school at 8:44 a.m. in response to a report that smoke in the school had set off the alarm, Charleston Fire Chief Duane Moulton said. Firefighters found sparks coming from the motor and shut power to the furnace room.
Buses transported students and staff to the Charleston Town Clerkâ€™s Office while firefighters dealt with the problem. The only person to remain at the school was Principal Sharon Gonyaw.