Archive - Sports Article
July 16th, 2015
SWANTONâ€“Three local golfers, Matt Morin, Tyler Smith and Alex Giroux finished up the third round of the VT amateur championships on Thursday. For more, see the Express on 7-17-15.
12 year-old Maeve Bathalon caught her first fish on July 8, 2015, in the Mississiquoi River while on a warm summer afternoon outing with her neighborâ€™s Chip and Andrew Morin and friend Karen. The trout was exactly 23 inches long. Submitted by Karen Hamelin
NEWPORTâ€“NHL All-Star Johnny Gaudreau popped up to the NEK a few days ago to visit with friends and family. For more photos of Johnny from his visit, see the Express on 7-14-15.
They say there are some pretty big fish in Alaska, and Marie Roberts proved by netting a 163 pound Halibut. For more wildlife photos, see the Express.
Here are my three picks for the week that was.
1. Birthday's are always a special day, and on Saturday, Wyatt Prue made his birthday a little more special by hitting a three-run bomb in the OEC Kings' win over Franklin County.
2. The NEK Junior Golf Tour got underway with a clinic held at the Orleans Country Club. Get ready to see a bunch of local youth golfers to hit our pages in the coming weeks.
Lauryn Goulet will be heading to Massachusetts in the near future to compete in the regional Pitch, Putt and Drive competition after she won the Vermont State Title in her division.
MANCHESTER,NHâ€“the North Country 12-U Cal Ripken Team took 2nd at the State Tournament over this past weekend. For more, see the Express on 7-10-15.
NEWPORTâ€“The Triple Threat Basketball Camp is in full swing at North Country Union High School this week. For more photos, see the Express on 7-9-15.
Here are my top three things that went on over the past week.
1. Summer baseball is in full swing, and with several local players competing at both the Legion and Junior Legion level and having success, like the OEC Lightning's pitcher Cody Chaput, who has been dominant on the mound, you should take a chance to go see them this week in Newport.
The Lightning play at 5:30 on Tuesday, and the OEC Kings, the Legion team, will take the field on Saturday for a doubleheader starting at 12:00.
A new feature you will see on our site every Sunday will be my top three sports stories from the week that was. It will be a combination of local and national sports stories, depending on the time of year, and it will be in no particular order.
Here are my Top Three From The Week That Was:
1. North Country graduate Whitney Bernier skated for Team Vermont in the Make-A-Wish all-Star Hockey Game.
2. Montreal goaltender Carey Price became the first goaltender to win both the Vezina and Hart trophies since Dominik Hasek did it in the late 90's.