Archive - Sports Article
July 28th, 2015
GREENFIELD, MAâ€“The Vermont Pride U-14 softball team recently traveled down to Massachusetts to take part in the Coachâ€™s Classic U-14 ASA Girlâ€™s Fast Pitch Tournament where they took second place.
For more, see the Express on 7-29-15.
We just about ready to enter the dog days of summer, but there is still plenty of things going on to talk about.
Here are my Top Three picks from the week that was.
1. Everybody knows that the Newport Women's Soccer League is a popular activity in our area, and on Sunday, Team Colombia Forest bested Newport Optical 5-1 to take home the League crown.
2. Tough weekend for the OEC Legion Team, as they were eliminated from the play-offs after entering the season as the top ranked team.
NEWPORTâ€“The OEC Lightning Junior Legion closed out their regular season with a sweep of the Colchester Cannons in a doubleheader on Wednesday evening.
For more, see the Express on 7-24-15.
ST. ALBANSâ€“the Orleans County 14-U Babe Ruth team won the State Tournament this past weekend. For more, see the Express on 7-23.
Another week has gone by and here are my top three picks of this past week.
1. Lake Region graduate Matt Morin finished in 4th place at the Vermont Amateur championship.
2. Staying on the links, Denis Fortin and Dan Griffith won their second Newport Daily Express Member-Guest Tournament.
3. And finally, Lake Region graduate Tyrah Urie put the finishing touch on her high school career on Saturday, scoring a goal in Team Vermontâ€™s 4-1 win over New Hampshire in the Twin State soccer game in Castleton.
NEWPORTâ€“Dan Griffith and Denis Fortin won their second Newport Daily Express Member-Guest Golf Tournament on Sunday. For more, see the Express on 7-20-15.
SWANTONâ€“Three local golfers, Matt Morin, Tyler Smith and Alex Giroux finished up the third round of the VT amateur championships on Thursday. For more, see the Express on 7-17-15.
12 year-old Maeve Bathalon caught her first fish on July 8, 2015, in the Mississiquoi River while on a warm summer afternoon outing with her neighborâ€™s Chip and Andrew Morin and friend Karen. The trout was exactly 23 inches long. Submitted by Karen Hamelin
NEWPORTâ€“NHL All-Star Johnny Gaudreau popped up to the NEK a few days ago to visit with friends and family. For more photos of Johnny from his visit, see the Express on 7-14-15.
They say there are some pretty big fish in Alaska, and Marie Roberts proved by netting a 163 pound Halibut. For more wildlife photos, see the Express.