Archive - Sports Article
July 12th, 2015
Here are my three picks for the week that was.
1. Birthday's are always a special day, and on Saturday, Wyatt Prue made his birthday a little more special by hitting a three-run bomb in the OEC Kings' win over Franklin County.
2. The NEK Junior Golf Tour got underway with a clinic held at the Orleans Country Club. Get ready to see a bunch of local youth golfers to hit our pages in the coming weeks.
Lauryn Goulet will be heading to Massachusetts in the near future to compete in the regional Pitch, Putt and Drive competition after she won the Vermont State Title in her division.
MANCHESTER,NHâ€“the North Country 12-U Cal Ripken Team took 2nd at the State Tournament over this past weekend. For more, see the Express on 7-10-15.
NEWPORTâ€“The Triple Threat Basketball Camp is in full swing at North Country Union High School this week. For more photos, see the Express on 7-9-15.
Here are my top three things that went on over the past week.
1. Summer baseball is in full swing, and with several local players competing at both the Legion and Junior Legion level and having success, like the OEC Lightning's pitcher Cody Chaput, who has been dominant on the mound, you should take a chance to go see them this week in Newport.
The Lightning play at 5:30 on Tuesday, and the OEC Kings, the Legion team, will take the field on Saturday for a doubleheader starting at 12:00.
A new feature you will see on our site every Sunday will be my top three sports stories from the week that was. It will be a combination of local and national sports stories, depending on the time of year, and it will be in no particular order.
Here are my Top Three From The Week That Was:
1. North Country graduate Whitney Bernier skated for Team Vermont in the Make-A-Wish all-Star Hockey Game.
2. Montreal goaltender Carey Price became the first goaltender to win both the Vezina and Hart trophies since Dominik Hasek did it in the late 90's.
KEENE, NHâ€“Four members of the North Country golf program made the trek down to New Englands on Monday. Find out how they fared in the Express on 6-24-15.
BARREâ€“Three local high school golfers took part in a qualifying match for a chance to compete in the nationwide tournament The Big 1 in Hutchinson, Kansas, at the Prairie Dunes Country Club August 3rd-6th.
To find out how they did, turn to the Express on 6-22-15.
TROYâ€“Samantha Barcomb has always had a knack for riding a horse.
Now that knack has turned into quite a skill set, as she will be competing with some of the top barrel racers in the country next month. To read her story, pick up the Express on 6-19-15.
HYDE PARKâ€“In the Division II semifinal showdown between the number two ranked Lamoille Lancers and the 6th ranked Lake Region Rangers the name of the game was unearned runs.
Two of the Rangers runs were not earned and the Lancers put five unearned runs across the plate, as Lamoille came away with the 7-3 win to earn a spot in the DII Finals against number 4 Bellows Falls on Friday night.