September 11th, 2012
The construction of the new gymnasium at Craftsbury Academy has been a team effort between the school and members of the community.
Thirty-eight landowners donated approximately 180 trees, including 8,860 feet of Sugar Maple for the main floor and 2,860 of Yellow Birch for the out of bounds area, towards the construction of the new gym.
Tom Lathrop of Vermont Specialty Wood Products from Bristol, VT, manufactured the wood for the school at a huge savings (aprox. $35,000.00).
Don Blake from Morrisville donated all the nails, and Menardâ€™s Agway donated flooring nailers.
Roberge–– Ivan J., 74, of Newport, VT passed away peacefully on September 9, 2012 at his home. At Ivan’s request, there will be no services. Online condolences may be sent to the family through the funeral home website at www.curtis-britch.com. Arrangements are entrusted to the care of Curtis-Britch-Converse-Rushford Funeral Home, locally family owned and operated.
For the full obituary see Tuesday's Express.
NEWPORT - Where were you when the sky fell on Sept. 11, 2001?
Shock and disbelief is the way many people describe their reaction to the Sept. 11 terroristsâ€™ attacks. Today marks the 11th anniversary of that horrific day.
As with the assassination of President Kennedy and the Challenger explosion, anyone old enough to understand what happened at the time remembers where they were and what they were doing when they learned about the attacks.
Newport City Fire Chief Jamie LeClair was on vacation near Windsor Locks, CT.
IRASBURG â€“ Fire flattened a storage shed and destroyed irreplaceable memories at the Gary and Bonnie Poginy home yesterday.
The fire at Stagecoach Road property broke out at around noon. Jamie Royer, who lives at the home, arrived just as the fire broke out. He said the whole thing was gone in five minutes. The shed previously held the familyâ€™s horses, but it more recent years the Royers used it for storage. Snowmobiles and family mementos belonging to deceased family members were some of the items lost the in fire.
The family did have insurance on the shed that members built together.
DERBY â€“ Assistant town clerk Maryanne Tetreaultâ€™s hours were cut earlier this year, reportedly because work was slow, and now she is behind on her duties.
Meanwhile, assistant town clerk Nancy Gosselin and Faye Morin, who was brought in by outgoing clerk Nicole Daigle to learn the office duties, are both clocking overtime.
Gosselin said Monday that she and Morin have had to work a few extra hours because the office is so busy right now with tax season. Gosselin also put in some overtime because of the recent primary.
Wheeler– Celon George, 78, of Newport Center, VT died while working at the Lake Road Cemetery in Newport Center, VT on September 6, 2012. A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at the Lake Road Cemetery in Newport Center, VT with the Rev. Laurence Wall officiating. The family request’s no flowers. Arrangements are entrusted to the care of Curtis-Britch-Converse-Rushford Funeral Home, locally family owned and operated.
For the full obituary see Monday's Express.
NEWPORT CITY - With the exception of a few sniffles, not a sound could be heard in Gardner Park Saturday morning as Betty Barrett told the heartbreaking story of how her son, Michael â€śGuidoâ€ť Narducci, lost his life to suicide.
With her second husband behind her, holding her for support, she recalled the abuse her now ex-husband gave her and family â€śrelentless.â€ť She explained how her ex-husband referred to Michael as a loser. After their divorce, Barrettâ€™s ex-husband even lied to their children about her, she said.
VERMONT â€“ The Vermont Department of Health (DOH) says that Vermonters are at risk for serious illness from mosquito bites.
Two people in Vermont are infected with Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) and several independent sources say that one, an 86-year-old man, has died from the disease. Another hospitalized patient is thought to have West Nile Virus. Both diseases are contracted from mosquito bites.
This is the first time EEE was been found in humans in Vermont.