Firefighters Save Troy Farmhouse

TROY — Firefighters saved the farmhouse at the former Judd Farm from being destroyed by fire yesterday.Jamie Rivers and Laura Clark now own the property now known as Jay View Sugaring Equipment.The family believes a shorted out extension cord in the basement caused the fire. The cord was powering a fan to dry children's clothes in the basement of the home. The home sustained smoke damage. The children's clothes were destroyed.The family was elsewhere on the property when the fire broke out. Co-owner James Rivers discovered the fire when he opened the door and found the house filled with smoke.Rivers and Laura Clark both had high praise for the fire department's quick response.Fire departments from Lowell and North Troy also responded to the scene.The couple's business, located in the barn, was open yesterday.